Kevin in Liberia

Its Purpose: to raise awareness of current social, political, ethical, and spiritual issues within a relief and development context in Liberia. Its effectiveness is simple: It relies on me, the author, to provide insightful, and often debate-sparking material that will encourage you, the reader to get engaged through comment contributions, emails, and promoting others to read, re-think, and respond to the important issues discussed.

I know not which is most profitable to me, health or sickness, wealth or poverty, nor anything else in the world. That discernment is beyond the power of men or angels, and is hidden among the secrets of your Providence, which I adore, but do not seek to fathom. ~ a prayer by Blaise Pascal

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Questions Around the Elections

10.05.05

Another day in Liberia and the last couple weeks has been the hardest on me by far. Questions surrounding “should I stay or should I go” abound. I have raised certain issues and it may mean that I will not stay for the full one year as originally thought. These things have created a whirlwind of thought that often makes it hard for me to concentrate on my work. I can’t possibly imagine things staying like this for another 8 months. That would just be too much. I’m asking for prayer to rectify the problems that are present here in Liberia.

Elections are only 6 days away and already the violence has seemed to take a turn for the worse. At a security meeting yesterday there was word of five armed robberies in Monrovia. These have taken place within the past week or so. In a couple of the armed robberies the Nigerian soldiers exchanged fire with the perpetrators. One person was killed in the exchanges. Two of the five armed robberies were also home invasion style robberies. Ann, a lady from Tearfund, told me that one of her friends was involved in one of these home invasion robberies. Luckily she escaped without any bodily harm. I can only imagine things getting worse as we get closer to election day. I feel a bit better about us having a security guard at our house now but I’m very sceptical whether he would be able to do anything about a group of armed bandits. I can only hope that they’ll be deterred by the amount of razor wire on the top of our fence.

From October 9 – 26 I am scheduled to house sit for Ryan and Gareth on the ELWA campus, about a 5 min walk from our house at Silver Beach. The only thing about their house is that it is wide open in the middle of this long grass and just a prime target for rogues. I’m kind of leery of staying in that house by myself but it also might be nice to have a house all to myself for three weeks or so as well. I’ll just have to keep my double-edged sword under my bed at all times!

Please pray for Liberia, and all Liberians, not just myself that all the election process goes through without the extreme violence that, at some times, seems inevitable. The whole election process most likely won’t be over until mid-November because there is most likely going to be a run-off (second election) for the presidency. For a candidate to win they need 50% +1 vote to be named the winner. Now with 22+ candidates how do you think its possible for one candidate to register 50% +1 of the votes!?! The October 11 election date is only the beginning of a tumultuous attempt at ‘democracy’.

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google