Kevin in Liberia

Its Purpose: to raise awareness of current social, political, ethical, and spiritual issues within a relief and development context in Liberia. Its effectiveness is simple: It relies on me, the author, to provide insightful, and often debate-sparking material that will encourage you, the reader to get engaged through comment contributions, emails, and promoting others to read, re-think, and respond to the important issues discussed.

I know not which is most profitable to me, health or sickness, wealth or poverty, nor anything else in the world. That discernment is beyond the power of men or angels, and is hidden among the secrets of your Providence, which I adore, but do not seek to fathom. ~ a prayer by Blaise Pascal

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Another Mercy Ships Act of Charity


So I get to work on Monday and to my surprise there is a group of volunteers from the Mercy Ships' Anastasis and apparently at the office to give it a face lift. Nothing beats a little renovation on a Monday morning. Not only did they come Monday but every day for one week a group of 4-6 individuals came to the office and proceeded to give the EQUIP office a much needed makeover. If the work seemed too hard for some the meat pies we supplied them for lunch negated any feelings of laziness. Seriously, what a group of hard working individuals. I thought it only right to give them some cyber-credit for what they accomplished. My office is completely rearranged and let me just tell you, change is good!


For all of you Mercy Ships folks who I talked to over the week (too many to remember each individuals' names) my invitation for surfing at Silver Beach still stands. Feel free to get in contact with me (kevin.aja.fryatt@gmail.com).

Thanks for all the hard work!

5 Comments:

  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Gaillie said…

    What a nice group of young people!

    There wouldn't happen to be some nice girls of MARRYING AGE, would there, Kev?

    Love Mom

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Cadley Dad said…

    Hi Kevin,
    just a quick hello,
    love your Mum,
    capitals on MARRYING AGE!


    Had anymore thoughts on what we discussed, let me know your ideas.
    I quite like the thought of sponsoring a wood carver and his family! Seriously, why not?

    Keep up the good work.

    BTW had many applicants for your position?

    If I was single I'd love to do something like you do, and have my Mum, yeah you know!

    Rgds
    Ian

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Kevin Aja Fryatt said…

    Hi Ian,

    I've had about 40-50 applicants for my position through a posting of the job on reliefweb.int.

    Not knowing how long I'll be in Liberia for or whether I'm coming back I would want to get some sort of sustainable way of transferring money to this individual or family. I've talked to a few people over here and the best way that we can think of would be to go through Western Union. That way you can forward money directly to the person without a middleman such as myself having to be here. They only downside is that there is no proof that the money is actually being used in the correct manner etc. Also, as a donor, I know that I would want to know where and how my money is being used and that I'm just not sending money over to some foreign land with no positive impact. I'm pretty new to this whole "sponsor a family/child" thing but I do know that there must be some sort of accoutability involved on the recipients' part. I know of a few people who could benefit from the money. I don't know if you'd want some sort of profile of these individuals but let me know and I could work something out for you.

    Kev

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Kevin Aja Fryatt said…

    Eric,

    Dude, you're icon is the best!

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Kevin Aja Fryatt said…

    ...and yes there are quite a few of nice girls aboard the ship!

    Eric, you speak the truth my friend...the truth!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google