Kevin in Liberia

Its Purpose: to raise awareness of current social, political, ethical, and spiritual issues within a relief and development context in Liberia. Its effectiveness is simple: It relies on me, the author, to provide insightful, and often debate-sparking material that will encourage you, the reader to get engaged through comment contributions, emails, and promoting others to read, re-think, and respond to the important issues discussed.

I know not which is most profitable to me, health or sickness, wealth or poverty, nor anything else in the world. That discernment is beyond the power of men or angels, and is hidden among the secrets of your Providence, which I adore, but do not seek to fathom. ~ a prayer by Blaise Pascal

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Eternal Love Winning Africa (ELWA Compound)


This is a view of the ELWA Compound where I live. A lonely dog watches candidly. There aren't many lonely dogs on ELWA.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kevin,
    My name is John Henning and I spent one year living at ELWA while in 6th grade (I'm now 48!). That house looks SOOOO familiar it's scary. Is this house one of the furthest away from the hospital (not the furthest but either one or two closer than the furthest). I have so many great memories of my time there. My Dad [Dr. Arthur (Jack) Henning] was a pediatrician in the hospital. He and Dr. Schindler were the only doctors there (other than I think a french doctor maybe). Not sure if they even have records from way back then or if anyone is still alive who remembers him.

    Boy what I wouldn't give up for me and my family (wife and son) to travel there and help out for awhile. My wife's an RN and I'm a Plant Geneticist with the USDA-ARS and on faculty here at Oregon State University. Have any need of plant geneticists there ;)

    God Bless,
    John Henning

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Kevin Aja Fryatt said…

    John,

    I think you know the house you're looking at. That house is about the 2nd or 3rd last house on the beach closest to Monrovia. I'm surprised you remember that! I'm also surprised it looks the same. At the hospital there is one American doctor named Rick Sacra. I'm not sure if he'd have records or know of anyone from way back. He's been here a while so he might.

    I'm sure the hospital can always use extra help. Plant Geneticist? Well, anytime someone can find a more resilent crop, this is a good thing! I should put you in contact with our Agriculture Project Manager.


    Kev.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google