Kevin in Liberia

Its Purpose: to raise awareness of current social, political, ethical, and spiritual issues within a relief and development context in Liberia. Its effectiveness is simple: It relies on me, the author, to provide insightful, and often debate-sparking material that will encourage you, the reader to get engaged through comment contributions, emails, and promoting others to read, re-think, and respond to the important issues discussed.

I know not which is most profitable to me, health or sickness, wealth or poverty, nor anything else in the world. That discernment is beyond the power of men or angels, and is hidden among the secrets of your Providence, which I adore, but do not seek to fathom. ~ a prayer by Blaise Pascal

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Video Footage Liberia in the Mid-1980s



This is a great video of Liberian culture in the mid-1980s, during Samuel Doe's regime. Strangely enough, it looks like Liberia in the 21st century. Many of these places and occurances in the video I recognize: Bong Mines, coffee picking, what I believe is the unfinished Ministry of Defense building, Randall Street, roasted cassava vendors, shoe shining, overloaded vehicles (men hanging off the back), the Dukor Hotel, basketball games at the Sports Commission court on Broad Street, palm log bridges, and dugout canoes. This video is a great summary of many of the things you'll find if you were here on the ground in Liberia.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger COLORADO BOB said…

    Kevin .. Haven't been by in several days .... Looking good, Guess what .... You're gonna teach me about Liberia. One Look at a time.

     
  • At 12:35 AM, Blogger Bowie said…

    I'm going to Liberia In february. I have some movies fram Liberya on my blog.

    Bowie

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Gaillie said…

    You didn't mention before the coffee industry there. Have you tasted the Liberian coffee, Kev?

    What are the main exports now?

    Love Mom

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Kevin Aja Fryatt said…

    I haven't tasted any Liberian coffee yet. I've seen coffee plants up in Lofa but haven't tasted the roasted version yet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google