Kevin in Liberia

Its Purpose: to raise awareness of current social, political, ethical, and spiritual issues within a relief and development context in Liberia. Its effectiveness is simple: It relies on me, the author, to provide insightful, and often debate-sparking material that will encourage you, the reader to get engaged through comment contributions, emails, and promoting others to read, re-think, and respond to the important issues discussed.

I know not which is most profitable to me, health or sickness, wealth or poverty, nor anything else in the world. That discernment is beyond the power of men or angels, and is hidden among the secrets of your Providence, which I adore, but do not seek to fathom. ~ a prayer by Blaise Pascal

Monday, February 12, 2007

Surfing Robertsport, Liberia - Broken Boards & Broken Dreams

As a way of relaxing for the weekend, I went up to Robertsport with a group of people from Tearfund. Earlier on in the week I had checked the US Navy Website and it was showing a big system moving in from the mid-Atlantic. A lot of 'green' moving towards Liberia so I knew for sure that there would definately be some big surfing in Robertsport, so big in fact that it snapped one of my boards in two. One Liberian surfboard repair coming up!


'Loco' as they call it, a point break with a rocky bottom where the surf is always twice as big as anywhere else in Robe
rtsport, was definately working! What I have discovered is that Liberian kids now have four surfboards which they share amongst maybe ten of them, or whoever is brave enough to venture into the water. I don't think these kids realize what they have on their hands with living in Robertsport and being able to see the surf day in/day out, seeing the best of the best and the worst of the worst days that it has to offer. Alfred, a young kid who has been surfing for approximately two years now has developed some decent skills in such a short period of time. I would expect that from anyone who has the opportunity to surf Robertsport day-in/day-out without fighting anybody for waves - every surfer's dream.


Anyways, enjoy the pictures.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger MJ said…

    Nice surfing pictures. They make me very jealous. And the waves look pretty good.

    Must have been tons of fun!

    MJ

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Blogger mstearne said…

    Looks fun. Please post some more pictures of the waves.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Britt said…

    Hey Kevin,

    Just thought I'd try to open a dialogue. My name is Britton Caillouette, and my friend Nicholai Lidow and I organized the surf trip to Liberia last summer with Dan Malloy and others featured on your site. Stoked to see you've been surfing Robertsport and stay in touch with Alfred and the other local surfers. It's great to see the guy in the middle of this photo getting some good use out of Dan's board! If you're interested, we're making a film out of our trip called Sliding Liberia that attempts to fuse surfing with personal stories of Liberians - including Alfred's discovery of surfing. Check out the trailer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=v0eru45CK5Y) and let me know what you think. Keep up the good work.

    Peace,

    Britton

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google