Kevin in Liberia

Its Purpose: to raise awareness of current social, political, ethical, and spiritual issues within a relief and development context in Liberia. Its effectiveness is simple: It relies on me, the author, to provide insightful, and often debate-sparking material that will encourage you, the reader to get engaged through comment contributions, emails, and promoting others to read, re-think, and respond to the important issues discussed.

I know not which is most profitable to me, health or sickness, wealth or poverty, nor anything else in the world. That discernment is beyond the power of men or angels, and is hidden among the secrets of your Providence, which I adore, but do not seek to fathom. ~ a prayer by Blaise Pascal

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rice Harvest in Lofa County



We are working with Liberians in Lofa County to build rice swamps. We visited numerous rice swamps on our monitoring visit in early December. I had the privaledge to harvest rice the West African way...with a switch-blade. We did a crop yield estimate where an approximately 3 metre circle is harvested and then that yield is used to project total crop yield.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kevin,
    What variety of rice did you guys plant there? Do you have any contact with WARDA?

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Kevin Aja Fryatt said…

    Hi John,

    The type of rice in that picture was Rok-3. Do you do any work with different varieties of rice? I would have to ask our Project Manager if we are in contact with WARDA. I don't know that off the top of my head.

    Kev.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Son

    Thought we would drop you a line and wish you Merry X-Mas & a Happy New Year. Keep up the great work. I talked to Seren last night. Deb and I are spending the next few days in Agassiz.
    E-mail us at sunglasses@netscape.ca

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google